Here are a few commonly asked questions about Snippet.
1. What is a Snippet? Is it an ebook?
Snippet presents a beautiful and engaging alternative to today’s dull and difficult mobile reading experiences. An individual Snippet story is a fun and trustworthy exchange of content that helps the reader know more about your subject matter expertise. Collectively, Snippet gives us one place to learn more about the people, brands and topics that interest us.
2. Why should I consider Snippet over other publishing alternatives?
At Snippet, we love the publishing universe and want to help expand it with better options for creators and readers alike. Unlike other publishing choices, we don’t force exclusivity or unfair terms. And we provide the most media-rich, short form experience of any publishing platform on the planet. Use Snippet alongside your other work to help spread your message wider and take your readers deeper.
3. What unique value does Snippet offer to me and my readers?
No other mobile reading experience is as attractive and media-rich as Snippet. Snippet allows you to embed HD video, real-time social conversations, photos, audio, and more directly into the reading experience. These “discoverables” captivate your reader’s attention and imagination in a way conventional formats cannot. By engaging your readers with a medium built for interaction, you’ll foster a stronger bond with readers that will pull them into all your work and support your work in the future.
4. What type of story can I create with Snippet?
Snippet’s creative potential is a big part of its magic. Thanks to its short form, you are empowered to tell any story that matters to you. Some creators use Snippet:
- To tell their personal origin story.
- To share their expertise or teach essential skills.
- To offer a compendium of their “best of” work.
- To publish new short(er) stories that may lead into a feature-length book.
- To provide a companion resource to a book, product, course, or event. Since Snippets are organic - you can publish new chapters over time - there truly is no end or limit to how you can use Snippet to tell stories that matter.
5. How much does it cost to publish a Snippet?
It is FREE to publish on Snippet. With that in mind, quality is one of our utmost values. We believe in quality content that fertilizes the mind with curious ideas and important questions. Unfortunately, the wider world of content creation and publishing is exploding with incomplete and shallow content. We don’t want to contribute to that noise. That is why Snippet has
Publishing Guidelines and we ask that you review them before publishing.
6. Can I make my Snippet free of charge?
Absolutely. You can set your Snippet free in the Writer Dashboard. However, we believe great content is valuable and encourage our writers to charge something for their hard work.
7. Why can’t I charge more than $4.99 for my Snippet?
While a Snippet reading experience is very different from a traditional ebook, ebook prices are an important benchmark within the industry. After carefully studying ebook pricing and sales trends, we arrived at a comparable price range of $0.99 to $4.99. Our study of pricing continues, and we appreciate the feedback our writers give on this subject. As Snippet evolves further, we’re open to evolving our price range.
8. Will Snippet ever feature a subscription pricing model?
A subscription pricing model is in our product development roadmap. Like many of our writers and readers, we enjoy high-quality, subscription-based content. We enjoy the ease of use as a consumer. And we recognize the business value it offers to individuals and companies. Although our timeline is undefined, we hope to accelerate our work soon on a subscription pricing model.
9. What is the royalty split between me and Snippet for each sale?
50/50. Beyond that equal split, there are no additional fees of any kind. We want to keep this side of publishing simple, which historically has not been simple through other publishing avenues. A 50/50 split pays great compliment and respect to our writers while takes a responsible allocation to support building, supporting, and growing the Snippet platform.
10. How do I get paid for my Snippet sales?
Royalty payments for your Snippets are facilitated through the Apple In-App Purchase system. Royalties will be paid electronically via Paypal approximately sixty (60) days following the end of the calendar month during which applicable sales occur and only after a royalty payment of $25 or more has been reached.
11. Where are Snippets available to download and read?
At Snippet we want to help writers distribute their content to multiple places and make it incredibly convenient to their readers. We currently offer distribution through our iOS App for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, on desktop web browsers (Chrome, Safari, and Firefox), and on mobile web browser.
We plan to expand our distribution to other platforms in the near future, including Android, Windows, and other reading platforms.
12. What is the most popular way writers are using Snippet?
Although Snippet writers are creating a wonderful diversity of stories, one common theme is the use of Snippet as a more personal introduction to the writer and his or her body of work. Because we encourage cross-promotion of a writer’s other projects - whether they be books, online courses, blogs, or other - Snippet is a wonderful way to foster community and more intimate relationships.
13. Do I lose my copyright ownership when I publish with Snippet?
Absolutely not. We love our writers to pieces. So unlike publishing options with vague or outright abusive terms that cleave ownership away from their rightful owner, we make it clear that you own 100% of your intellectual property, including copyright on all content. We are devoted to empowering you to publish great work with all the conventional worries that come along with publishing.
14. How long does it take for my Snippet to go live after publishing?
Every Snippet goes through a short review process by the Snippet Team and by Apple after being published and before going in the store. Typically this takes 7-10 days. We notify you throughout the review process with status updates. Here is the typical review process and statuses:
- Pending Review (1-2 days)
- In Snippet Review (1-2 days)
- In Apple Review (5-7 days)
- Approved and in the Snippet Store! Snippets then go live in the Snippet Store the Thursday following approval before 10AM. The criteria we review every Snippet by can be found in our